Kenya is a beautiful country with many lively, bustling countries that let you explore the culture and tradition of the region. With many museums, luxury lodges, high-class airports and exotic bars, Kenya’s major cities are worth a visit.
Here are the 5 must-visit cities in Kenya:
Home to spectacular museums, fancy restaurant, beautiful luxury hotels and serene parks, Nairobi is Kenya’s capital, and financial hub. The city is bustling with life, surrounded by wilderness at all sides.
Nairobi National Park is also located within the city. It’s a beautiful park with many big and small animals including giraffes, hippos, buffaloes, zebras, wildebeests, and even lions and rhinos, occasionally.
The Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and the Giraffe Center are worth a visit.
Mombasa is the second most popular city in Kenya. It’s a coastal city so you can enjoy both, the beach life and the city life. It’s a lively city with many luxury restaurants, hotels, bars and clubs where you can party.
Here are some of the best spots to visit in Mombasa:
- Haller Park – this beautiful park contains diverse wildlife including zebras, giraffes, hippos and buffaloes.
- Fort Jesus
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling at Mombasa Marine National Park
- Explore the Old Town
Malindi is another coastal city where you can find great accommodation, bars, and many tourist spots. Here are some of the best places to visit in Malindi:
- Enjoy a sunset dhow cruise. A dhow is a traditional sailboat used by the East Africans. Watch as the sun paint the sky with mesmerizing hues of red, orange and yellow.
- Visit the Falconry of Kenya, where you can observe tortoises, eagles, falcons and many other animals.
- Explore the Ndoro Sculpture Garden that has about 300 sculptures.
Lamu is a beautiful town located on Lamu Island. It has many tourist attractions which include:
- Lamu Museum – Lamu has a rich and long history. It has been continually inhabited for a very long time, with each settler adding more to the already beautiful history of the town. The Lamu Museum holds many interesting displays. It’s built on a two-storey ancient house and has a stunning waterfront.
- Lamu Fort – this beautiful fort was built in the early 1800s by the Sultan of Pate. It contains a museum and a library, which has some of the best poetry works of Swahili poets.
Surrounding Lake Nakuru at three sides, Nakuru city is a popular tourist destination. It’s the fourth-largest city in Kenya and contains many bars, pubs, restaurants and hotels where you can chill and party. Here are some of the top attractions in Nakuru city:
- Lake Nakuru National Park
- Lord Egerton’s Castle
- Hyrax Hill Museum
So, what are you waiting for? Head over to Kenya and have a great time exploring these beautiful and lively cities. While you’re there, don’t forget to check out the 5 useful hacks to help deal with the heat on safari in Kenya.