Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, is a unique and gorgeous city to visit. The city is a combination of urban life and nature. You can experience the everyday city life of the people living in Nairobi and travel like a local while also exploring the captivating beauty of exotic wildlife. The city is home to the National Park, where you can experience the endangered black rhinos. Nairobi offers an exciting travelling experience that you may not otherwise get in other capital cities. This checklist will help you see every site you must see in Nairobi.
- The Nairobi National Park – The National Park is probably the first place you want to visit. Located 5 miles from Nairobi and situated 5,000 feet above sea level, this park is mesmerizingly beautiful and is home to a range of exotic wildlife.
- Giraffe Centre – If you want to continue your wildlife adventure, make your way to the Giraffe Centre, located near the Nairobi National Park in Giraffe Manor. You will get to see the endangered Rothschild’s giraffes and even feed them!
- Karura Forest – The forest spans 2,500 acres and is packed with wildlife and exotic fauna. You can trek through the forest and take a guided tour to be one with nature.
- David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust – The trust is a sanctuary for orphaned elephants and rhinos. They are currently home to over 250 elephants. The trust allows you to interact, feed, and play with the baby elephants and rhinos.
- Nairobi National Museum – The Nairobi National Museum is your perfect destination for avid travelers who enjoy learning about the culture. You will find various displays that pay tribute to the unique and colourful culture and over 900 species of stuffed birds and mammals. The museum also has a geology section. You can also visit Snake Park, which is right next to the museum
- Bomas of Kenya – Another unique place to visit, the Bomas of Kenya is a theatrical living museum that showcases the beautiful culture of Kenya’s many tribes
- Railway Museum – The Railway Museum pays tribute to the iconic history of the Kenyian railroad. You will get to see train models, historical photographs from when the Uganda Railway was being constructed, and life-size locomotive models, such as the MV Liemba.
- Ngong Hills – The Ngong Hills are breathtakingly beautiful and offer plenty of fresh air and trails to take an adventurous and exciting walk. Apart from the spectacular views, you will also come across gazelles, buffaloes, bushbucks, and many other exotic creatures.
- The Village Market – For shopaholic travellers, the Village Market is an exciting place to visit because you get to shop like a local and because of the bargain prices of products. It is an open marketplace with over 150 vendors.
- Kazuri Beads Factory – The factory manufactures handcrafted beautiful bead ornaments and jewelry.
Nairobi is a fascinating travelling destination that offers a unique experience. Nairobi is an infusion of everything, where you can enjoy city life, explore nature, interact with exotic wildlife, learn about the culture and history, and shop. If you are planning to visit Kenya, Nairobi is a must-visit. Be sure to also read our Comprehensive Safari Guide for Kenya.