Discover the secrets of Nungwi Island on the North Coast of Zanzibar
About the tour
Discover the north coast of Zanzibar as you explore Nungwi, the dhow building capital of the island. The town of Nungwi is steeped in history and culture and is famous for its picturesque beach and dhow building yard. See how the locals go about their daily lives, visit Nungwi Turtle Sanctuary and learn about their conservation efforts.
- Discover the way locals make their livelihoods in Nungwi as you explore the north coast town.
- You will pass through the fish markets to see freshly caught seafood being auctioned.
- There’s a stop at the ruins of an Old Portuguese settlement dating back to 1497, where you will learn about the history of the ruins.
- Visit the boat building yard, a significant part of the village, where the traditional dhows are built. See how skilled artisans bend the wood to construct the dhows.
- Visit the Turtle Sanctuary and discover how the animals are nursed back to health and released into the ocean.
- Take a guided tour of Nungwi town, walk down to the beach and enjoy sumptuous meals at the local restaurants along the beach or even indulge in some water activities.
- Watch the beautiful sunsets and watch the sky turn pink and gold as the sun sinks over the Indian Ocean.