Bwejuu is a quiet seaside fishing village on the island of Unguja, located in the southeast coast of the island. It’s an unspoilt oasis of tranquillity for travellers seeking privacy and a serene atmosphere.
The village is located on the southeast of the Island of Unguja, a part of Zanzibar Archipelago, right on the east coast – and south of the Michamvi Peninsula.
Book your cheap flight to Zanzibar with Tripindigo and visit Bwejuu today!
How to get to Bwejuu
- Fly: The major airport of Zanzibar – Abeid Amani Karume International Airport, as well as Dar es Salaam International Airport, are located close by and offers tourists more flight connections.
- Drive: From Dar es Salaam, you can take a ferry to Zanzibar, and then take dala-dala to Bwejuu. From Zanzibar Airport, you can take a minibus, taxi or dala-dala to Bwejuu. It takes approximately one hour from Zanzibar Airport to the village of Bwejuu.
Bwejuu is well-known for its picture-perfect beach, fringed by lanky palms strongly rooted to the ground and seafront restaurants & bars. The beach was voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world by Conde Nast Traveller. It’s a major attraction in the village, attracting several tourists who indulge in a wide range of activities including sailing, fishing, snorkelling, and sea diving. The beach is also a great place to go sunbathing due to the tropical climate of the region.
Local Seaweed Farms
There are several seaweed farms located around the village, as many locals indulge in seaweed farming due to the shallow and warm waters of the bay at Bwejuu. You can take a tour of the seaweed farms to learn more about how the islanders work at sea at the first low tide of the day.
The Party village of Paje
Located on the east coast of Zanzibar Island, Paje is not far away from Bwejuu. The small village is well-known for its long strip of powdery sand and turquoise waters, and its collection of beachfront accommodation, clubs, and bars. Several clubs on the beach host parties in the evenings where you can enjoy a variety of drinks mingle with other tourists and locals and dance till daybreak.
Jozani Chwaka National Park
Take a day trip to the popular Jozani Chwaka National Park, which is renowned for the rare red Colobus monkey and a variety of other monkey species, duikers, bushbabies, and many bird species. It’s the only national park in Zanzibar and it’s located about 35km from Zanzibar town itself. However, it’s situated within close proximity from Bwejuu, just off the road to Paje.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Bwejuu is during the warm and dry spring months between June – October. You can also visit Bwejuu is between December – April, but it usually hot and stiflingly humid during this time.
- High Season: June – October when the weather is warm and the temperatures are comfortable.
- Low Season: March-May
- Best weather: September – October
- Worst weather: mid-March to late May, November
- Throughout the year: You can indulge in guided private tours to several attractions around or close to the quaint fishing village of Bwejuu. Seaweed Farming is a well-known activity in Bwejuu. Visit to watch the women farmers in Bwejuu pick seaweeds at low tide on the sea and dry them out in the sun.
- Season Dependant: Water activities such as scuba diving is ideal between July – August, and February – March. You can go diving in March and kitesurfing from June to October, or mid-December to March.
- A tour of the local seaweed farms of the bay
- Sea Diving, and several more.
For more fun in Zanzibar, we suggest you search and compare tours we have available on the Island.