Dongwe is located on the eastern part of Zanzibar Island, where the climate is more pleasant and drier. The village is approximately 65 kilometres from Stone Town and 6 kilometres from the village of Michamvi.
Book a cheap flight with Tripindigo and visit Dongwe today.
Dongwe has a beautiful sweeping white sandy beach, littered fishermen’s dhows, and oceanfront accommodation. The region is open, beach-rich district. On the whole, there is little to say about Dongwe but it is a place for people looking for privacy and comfort.
The Rock Restaurant:
This locally inspired restaurant is world-famous, renowned for its amazing location on the island of Zanzibar and its wide range of tasty delicacies inspired by natural resources. It’s exclusively situated on a rock in the middle of the Indian Ocean on the south-east coastline of the Island.
Take a day trip to the village of Nungwi located on the northern tip of the island of Zanzibar. The village features a wide range of interesting attractions such as a natural turtle museum, stunning beaches as well as Mangwapani caves – a historic hiding place for slaves in the ancient era. You can explore the village to see the local furniture craftsmen at work and see how dhows are built.
Menay Bay Conservation area:
Visit and explore Menay Bay Conversation Area, take a boat ride into the bay to see the humpback and bottle-nosed dolphins. You can also indulge in some snorkelling activities in the bay.
The capital of Zanzibar Island, Stone Town is a historic hub featuring a wide range of attractions, unique architecture and spice farms. You can explore the alleyways in the town, marvel at the famous doors of Zanzibar and have a taste of the local food.
Located just 30minutes from Dongwe, you can visit the Jozani Forest, which is well-known for the rare Red Colobus Monkey and a wide range of bird species, bushbabies and butterflies. The forest is a great place to explore if you love nature.
How to get here:
- Fly: Transfer from Zanzibar airport to Dongwe is approximately one hour and thirty minutes. From Dar es Salaam, you can fly directly to Zanzibar Airport, which also has flight connections to different destinations across the world.
- Drive: Tourists can hire dala dala or a private shuttle to get them to Dongwe. The road to Dongwe is completely paved through a fascinating woodland, and papaya and mango vegetations.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Dongwe is during the warm spring months between June to October. December to February is another good time to visit Dongwe.
- High Season: June – October
- Low Season: March– May
- Best weather: September – October
- Worst weather: mid-March to late May, November
- Throughout the year: Sightseeing in Dongwe may not be much but it can be done throughout the year.
- Season Dependant: Scuba diving is great between July and August, February and March.
- Scuba diving
- Stone Town Tour
- Dolphin Tour
- Prison Island Tour
For more fun in Zanzibar, we suggest you search and compare tours we have available on the Island.