Kizimkazi is a fishing village on the southern coast of Zanzibar Island. It is often referred to as Kizimkazi Mkunguni or Kizimkazi Mtendeni. In recent years, it has become a popular tourist attraction located on the south coast of the island.
Book cheap flights with Tripindigo and visit Kizimkazi today.
Kizimkazi is a popular place on the island to spot dolphins in their natural habitat, watch and swim with them. There is a dolphin area on the beach where you can snorkel with the dolphins.
There are two caves of Kiwengwa features a variety of insects with five kinds of bats. It’s located on the east coast of the island, several kilometres from Kizmkazi. If you love exploring caves, this is a unique holiday experience for you.
Take a day trip to the Prison Island to see the ancient-old Aldabra tortoises, which were donated by the government of Seychelles to the sultan of Zanzibar. The island is located close to the Stone Town, and you’ll have the opportunity to see the ruins of the old prison, that was once used for rebellious slaves, and later a quarantine centre for British territory of East Africa.
How to get here:
- Fly: From Dar es Salaam, you can fly to Pemba or Zanzibar, and take a dala dala to Kizimkazi.
- Drive: You can get to Kizimkazi with the taxi, local minibus or dala-dala from Mwanakwerekwe bus terminal in Stone Town. The trip from Stone Town to Kizimkazi takes about two hours.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Kizimkazi is during the warm and dry spring months between June to October. You can also come to Kizimkazi is between December and February.
- High Season: June – October
- Low Season: March-May
- Best weather: September – October
- Worst weather: mid-March to late May, November
- Throughout the year: Sighting of dolphins is best experienced early in the morning before the water gets warm.
- Season Dependant: Water sports and scuba diving is ideal between July and August, and from February to March.
- Go on a fishing trip in the morning and watch fishermen catch sardines from the sea.
- Live like a local and learn more about the local culture
- Apply Henna Tattoos
- Take a boat from the local beach in Kizimkazi and go on a dolphin tour.
- Swim in the turquoise water
- Go on a snorkelling trip to nearby waters
- Visit a local school in the village
For more fun in Zanzibar, we suggest you search and compare tours we have available on the Island.