Makunduchi is a small town in the south-eastern part of Unguja with a deep sense of culture and history. The surrounding area houses a colonial lighthouse, coral caves, and ancient shrines. It has the largest baobab tree you can find on the island.
Book cheap flights with Tripindigo and visit Makunduchi today.
The Mwaka Koga or Mwaka Kogwa is the show of the year that takes place in July or August to welcome the Persian Year. The event is a ritual battle that sees huts burnt and predictions for the New Year are made based on the smoke. It’s an amazing cultural event you must not miss when you visit Makunduchi.
Located right in the centre of the Indian Ocean, about 30 minutes boat ride from Makunduchi, Paradise Island features a glistering powdery atoll where you can swim and relax, and maybe swim among the tropical fishes on the reef along the way.
Mnemba Atoll is well-known for its extraordinary coastal surrounding and its coral reef, which features a wide range of marine species such as whale sharks, clownfishes, green turtles, bottlenose dolphins, lionfishes, and colourful corals. It’s a great spot for diving and snorkelling. It’s located just 45minutes by boat from Makunduchi town.
Located several kilometres from Makunduchi town, the Prison Island is home to the centenary Aldabra tortoises donated to the Sultan of Zanzibar by the British governor of Seychelles. You can also visit the ancient prisons of slaves on the island. After, you can visit the nearby sandy beach surrounded by glistering waters for some snorkelling and swimming activities.
How to get here
Best Time to Visit
Tourists can visit Makunduchi between December – February, and dry spring months between June and October.
- High Season: June – October
- Low Season: March-May
- Best weather: June 4th to October 28th
- Worst weather: mid-March to late May, November
- Throughout the year: Throughout the year, tourists can enjoy the serenity of the coastal area and swim in some of the beaches on the island.
- Season Dependant: You can indulge in a variety of water activities between July and August.
- Mwaka Koga held in July/August.
- A Quad Bike Ride: The old Makunduchi is where you will find the fishermen while the new Makunduchi is a modern town built with the help of East German funds. With a quad bike, you can visit any of these places.
- Scuba Diving
For more fun in Zanzibar, we suggest you search and compare tours we have available on the Island.