Situated on the northeast coast of Zanzibar Island, Matemwe has got a little bit of everything, from a palm-fringed white sand beach to a wide range of water activities to enjoy.
Book your cheap flight to Zanzibar with Tripindigo and visit Matemwe today!
How to get here:
- Fly: Take a 20-minute flight from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar, a 2-hour flight from Arusha or flights to Zanzibar from other destinations via Dar es Salaam.
- Drive: Transfers from Zanzibar Airport to Matemwe takes about 1 hour 30-minutes. You can also hire a car in Stone Town for the trip Matemwe.
Matemwe Beach is a peaceful place to relax and unwind on the swanky tropical island of Zanzibar. Fringed with palm trees, the white sand beach is perfect for soaking up the sun while you sip on cocktails. There are several activities to enjoy on Matemwe Beach including fishing, diving, and snorkelling.
Mnemba Atoll is located off the coast, and it’s a great place to dive and snorkel. It features amazing coral reefs that offer beautiful sightings of dolphins, turtles, and colourful reef fish. You will also have an opportunity to see humpback whales as they migrate between July and November.
Wander the narrow alleyways of Stone Town and get lost in its streets while you admire the magnificent architecture, the intricately carved doors, drink coffee at the quaint shops and buy some local crafts at the market. The Old Town is the capital of Zanzibar, and it’s a great place to explore if you want to get a glimpse of the local culture and learn the ways of the Zanzibaris.
Best Time to Visit
Zanzibar has great sunny beach weather nearly all throughout the year. However, the dry season is from July to October, and December to Mid-March.
- High Season: June – October
- Low Season: March-May
- Best weather: September – October
- Worst weather: April – May (Most hotels are closed during this time)
- Throughout the year: Taking dips and beach strolling is all year round.
- Season Dependant: Humpback whales annual migration happens between July and November.
- Quad Adventure
- Spice Plantation Tours
- Stone Town Tours
For more fun in Zanzibar, we suggest you search and compare tours we have available on the Island.