Located on the northeast coast of Zanzibar, Pongwe is a small village blessed with a beautiful white sandy beach and crystal-clear waters, making it pretty hard to resist.
Book cheap flights with Tripindigo and visit Pongwe today!
Pongwe has one of the most beautiful beaches in Zanzibar, with powdery white sand, lined with palm trees. There are no luxury beachfront hotels or resorts around here, but you will find white-washed cottages scattered near the stretch of sand. Tourists can indulge in a wide range of water activities including snorkelling and diving. Pongwe Reef is a great place to go snorkelling during the day.
Pongwe Forest Home
The forest is home to a wide range of wildlife species such as antelopes, colobus monkeys, and many other rare creatures. The tale of a fable female spirit is famous among the locals when you visit Pongwe Forest Home.
Stone Town is the capital of Zanzibar, and it was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in the year 2000. The Old Town is steeped in history, brimming with charm. With its narrow alleyways, quaint cafes and coffee shops, museums and iconic architecture, it’s a great place to explore on foot while you experience its cultural charm and get to know the locals.
A visit to a spice farm is one of the best things to do during your visit to Zanzibar. Dubbed the Spice Islands, Zanzibar features a wide range of spice farms, and exploring them is a great way to learn and see how the spices are grown. You’ll also have an opportunity to sample the spices and fruits grown on the farm.
How to get here
- Fly: The best way to visit Zanzibar is flying into and Julius Nyerere (DAR). The closest airport is Karume International (ZNZ), and you’ll probably fly to this island on a connecting flight from Dar es Salaam in Tanzania.
- Drive: A taxi can pick you from either the ferry port or the airport for a 50km drive from Stone Town.
Best Time to Visit
You can visit Pongwe at any time of the year, however, the temperatures are pretty amazing between June and July.
- High Season: December–February, and May-August
- Low Season: November–December
- Best weather: September
- Worst weather: March-May
- Throughout the year: You can swim on the beach at any time of the year.
- Season Dependant: The best month for diving in Pongwe is March. September and October are also an amazing time to visit.
- Quad Biking
For more fun in Zanzibar, we suggest you search and compare tours we have available on the Island.