Dodoma Airport Guide
Dodoma Airport, also known by its IATA Code DOD and ICAO Code HTDO is a Regional airport located in the Dodoma Region at the centre of Dodoma City in Tanzania.
The Tanzanian Parliament buildings are approximately 10 mins drive from the airport and there are plenty of bars, restaurants and hotels nearby.
Geographical Location see map below
Dodoma Airport, is located in the city centre. Dodoma is located in the centre of Tanzania 453 kilometres (281 mi) west of the commercial centre, Dar es Salaam.
NEW SAFETY MEASURE DUE TO COVID-19
Please note that due to Covid-19,the Dodoma Airport have enacted several safety measure in order to protect both the staff and tourists coming in and out of the airport. These measures include:
- Ensuring every tourist arriving in the country is not infected with COVID-19; All travelers arriving will be subjected to an intensive screening and where necessary COVID-19 rapid testing.
- The airport staff will have to be tested for COVID-19 so that only those who are safe will provide services; In addition, all attendants will have to wear facemasks all the time; they will also have to wear gloves and will have to use sanitizers as directed by MoHCDEC. In addition, they must make sure that they observe the social distance of not less than one meter from one staff to another and from the guest
- All other members on the tourism activities value chain will be regularly monitored to ensure they are not infected with the Corona virus; These include ensuring gloves are always worn when loading and unloading passenger baggage, cargo and pouches and the taxi drivers at the airport are tested.Only staff that are not infected with Corona Virus will be allowed to cater to tourist. However, all staff will have to wear masks and make sure that they stay at least one meter apart between themselves and the tourist.
- All tourist transport facilities, tourist accommodation and all other facilities used by tourists must be cleaned and sanitized before and after service in an acceptable manner to ensure that they do not become infected with Corona Virus.
- Taxi – There are taxis which will get you from the city centre to the airport for Tzs 10,000- Tzs 20,000 (USD $5 – 10).
- Preferred Mode – Pre arranged transfer or Taxis are the preferred method especially if you have luggage with you.
- Shuttle Bus – The airport does not operate one.
- Alternatives – Hotel transfer service.
- Car Parking & Fees – There is no automated POS parking system at the airport and parking should be free (however there may be a cash charge from the municipal council)
- Auxiliary Information
- Flight from Hub
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the main hub in Tanzania, and there are 2 daily flights to Dodoma.
This is a small airport and the facilities will be limited. There is a basic departure lounge and a small kiosk providing cold drinks and snacks.
Hotels & Transit Accommodation
Although Dodoma is the capital city, it is generally a quiet place when Parliament is not in session. Whilst there are no hotels at the airport, there is a good selection of affordable and basic accommodation close by such as Barcelona Lodge, Mnazi Moja Guesthouse and a 10 minute taxi ride will take you to the more upmarket Morena Hotel and New Dodoma Hotel.