IRI Airport Guide
Iringa Airport, also known as Nduli Airport and by its IATA Code IRI and ICAO Code HTIR. It is a Regional airport located in the Iringa Region on the outskirts of Iringa City in the centre of Tanzania. The airport is located on the A104 highway which traverses Mtera Dam and onwards to Dodoma, the Capital City.
Geographical Location – see map below
Iringa Airport is located Northeast of the town centre, approximately 13kms (20 mins drive) away. North of the airport lies the Mkungugu Lutheran Church whilst South lies Tumaini University and Iringa City beyond that.
NEW SAFETY MEASURE DUE TO COVID-19
Please note that due to Covid-19,the Iringa Airport have enacted several safety measure in order to protect both the staff and tourists coming in and out of the airport. These measures include:
- Ensuring every tourist arriving in the country is not infected with COVID-19; All travelers arriving will be subjected to an intensive screening and where necessary COVID-19 rapid testing.
- The airport staff will have to be tested for COVID-19 so that only those who are safe will provide services; In addition, all attendants will have to wear facemasks all the time; they will also have to wear gloves and will have to use sanitizers as directed by MoHCDEC. In addition, they must make sure that they observe the social distance of not less than one meter from one staff to another and from the guest
- All other members on the tourism activities value chain will be regularly monitored to ensure they are not infected with the Corona virus; These include ensuring gloves are always worn when loading and unloading passenger baggage, cargo and pouches and the taxi drivers at the airport are tested.Only staff that are not infected with Corona Virus will be allowed to cater to tourist. However, all staff will have to wear masks and make sure that they stay at least one meter apart between themselves and the tourist.
- All tourist transport facilities, tourist accommodation and all other facilities used by tourists must be cleaned and sanitized before and after service in an acceptable manner to ensure that they do not become infected with Corona Virus.
- Taxi – There are taxis which will get you from the city centre to the airport 13 kilometers (20 minutes) away for Tzs 20,000- Tzs 40,000 (USD $10 – 20). When arriving in Iringa it is best to have a transfer or pickup pre arranged as Taxis do not generally wait at the airport.
- Preferred Mode – Pre arranged transfer or Taxis are the preferred method especially if you have luggage with you.
- Shuttle Bus – The airport does not operate one.
- Alternative – Hotel transfer service.
- Car Parking & Fees – There is no automated POS parking system at the airport and parking should be free (however there may be a cash charge from the municipal council)
- Auxiliary Information
- Flight from Hub
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the main hub in Tanzania, and there are 2 daily flights to Iringa.
This is a small airport and the facilities will be limited. There is a basic departure lounge and a small kiosk providing cold drinks and snacks.
Hotels & Transit Accommodation
Whilst there are no hotels at the airport, there is a good selection of affordable and comfortable accommodation in the city centre such as Isimila African Garden, Serenity Hotel, Sai Villas and Zak Inn.