Kilimanjaro (JRO) Airport Guide
Kilimanjaro International Airport, also known by its IATA Code JRO and ICAO Code HKKJ, is one of the international airports in the Republic of Tanzania which serves the cities of Arusha and Moshi.
This is one of four international airports in the Republic of Tanzania and the second largest. This airport primarily services international inbound and outbound flights to / from Tanzania. There are limited numbers of airlines offering domestic and regional services from JRO into the Serengeti / Manyara and other popular Tanzanian destinations. The majority of domestic airlines operate out of Arusha (ARK) airport 55 km away. There are a number of options to transfer between Arusha and Kilimanjaro airports, including booking a transfer right here on Tripindigo. Flights out of Arusha tend to be more competitively priced with much higher frequency than those out of Kilimanjaro International.
Geographical Location – see map below
Kilimanjaro International Airport is located in Northern Tanzania right at the footsteps of Mt Kilimanjaro, which at 19,341 feet (5,895 meters above sea level) is the highest mountain in Africa and the tallest free-standing mountain in the world.
The location of the airport is 55 kilometers South East of Arusha town along the A23 Himo Road and the journey to Arusha by road 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic.
NEW SAFETY MEASURE DUE TO COVID-19
Please note that due to Covid-19,the Kilimanjaro International Airport have enacted several safety measure in order to protect both the staff and tourists coming in and out of the airport. These measures include:
- Ensuring every tourist arriving in the country is not infected with COVID-19; All travelers arriving will be subjected to an intensive screening and where necessary COVID-19 rapid testing.
- The airport staff will have to be tested for COVID-19 so that only those who are safe will provide services; In addition, all attendants will have to wear facemasks all the time; they will also have to wear gloves and will have to use sanitizers as directed by MoHCDEC. In addition, they must make sure that they observe the social distance of not less than one meter from one staff to another and from the guest
- All other members on the tourism activities value chain will be regularly monitored to ensure they are not infected with the Corona virus; These include ensuring gloves are always worn when loading and unloading passenger baggage, cargo and pouches and the taxi drivers at the airport are tested.Only staff that are not infected with Corona Virus will be allowed to cater to tourist. However, all staff will have to wear masks and make sure that they stay at least one meter apart between themselves and the tourist.
- All tourist transport facilities, tourist accommodation and all other facilities used by tourists must be cleaned and sanitized before and after service in an acceptable manner to ensure that they do not become infected with Corona Virus.
- Taxi – There are unbranded taxis are available to get you to Arusha, 55 kilometers away and they cost Tzshs 110,000 Tzshs (USD $ 50).
- Preferred Mode – Use the shuttles they are cheaper they cost 20,000 Tzshs (USD $ 10) offer more leg and luggage room and are more convenient.
- Shuttle Bus – The airport does not operate one but the airlines like KLM operate shuttle busses to Arusha town.
- Car Parking & Fees – The airport runs an automated POS parking system and the parking fee is metered per hour depending on the car type.
- Auxiliary Information
- Flight from Hub
There are more than 8 connecting flights daily from Dar es Salaam International Airport to Kilimanjaro International Airport and the flight takes 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Airlines Using As Hub
Currently there are no airlines using this airport as a hub.
The taxis and car hire vehicles will pick and drop you within the terminal, right at the entrance to the lounge. And there are porters ready to help you with your luggage, for a small tip.
Kiosks – There are kiosks that sell curios at the airport terminal plus duty free shops that stock western goods and there is plenty of reading material to keep you busy after you land.
Hotels & Transit Accommodation
There are no hotels within the airport. Kia lodge is located 5 minutes from the airport. There are many hotels in Arusha located 55 kilometers from the airport and they range from budget to 3-5 star accommodations. Some of the best hotels in Arusha include The Mount Meru Hotel, Kibo Palace Hotel and The Rivertrees Country Inn.