MBA International Airport Guide
Moi International Airport or Mombasa International Airport, also known as by its IATA Code MBA and ICAO Code HKMO, is the second largest international airport in Kenya. It is located in the coastal city of Mombasa, Kenya’s number one tourist hub, in Mombasa County of the Republic of Kenya.
This is Kenya’s second international airport, it is a big and modern international airport loaded with all the facilities you would expect from an international airport in the world.
Moi International Airport is located in Mombasa City, the second largest city in Kenya. It is located in Mombasa County, in the South Eastern part of Kenya, right on the shores of the Indian Ocean.
The precise location of the airport is on the Southern Tip of the mainland section Mombasa City in the neighborhood known as Port Reitz, 10 kilometers to the west of Mombasa’s Central Business District. It is bordered on the West and South by the Indian Ocean and on the East and North by the Mombasa Road.
- Taxi – The following taxis are available; Kenatco Taxis, Uber, Unbranded Taxis, TukTuks (Tri-ped Passenger Motorcycles). The rides from the City Centre to the airport, a 10 kilometers (25 minutes ride, depending on traffic), are charged at an average of 1000 Kshs (USD $ 10) per trip.
- Preferred Mode – Use Uber and Kenatco Taxis they are more reliable and spacious as they offer more leg and luggage room.
- Shuttle Bus – The airport does not operate one.
- Alternatives – There are public passenger transport vehicles, known locally as matatus, which ply the Mombasa Road located right by the main entrance to the airport and they charge Kshs 50 (USD $ 0.5). This option is not for the faint of heart or first time travellers.
- Car Parking & Fees – There is an automated POS parking and charges are as follows for a saloon car entering the airport;
- Minimum 15 minutes – 100 Kshs (1$).
- Long-term parking (12-24 hours) – 650 Kshs (6.5$)
- Extended parking – 1,500Kshs (15$) per day.
- Auxiliary Information
- Flight From Hub
There are at least 14 daily flights from Moi International Airport Mombasa to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi and the flight duration is 1 hour flat.
Airlines Using As Hub
This airport isn’t currently a hub for any airline.
The taxis and car hire vehicles will pick and drop you within the terminal and there are porters ready to help you with your luggage, for a small tip.
Kiosks – There are kiosks that sell curios at the airport terminal in addition to the duty free shops that stock western goods and there is also some reading material to keep you busy after you land.
Hotels & Transit Accommodation
Mombasa is at the heart of Kenya’s tourism industry and as such there are hotels located in Mombasa City, from budget offerings Kshs 500(USD $5) per night to Kshs 20,000 (USD $ 200) and above. They include; Hotel Englishpoint, Voyager Resort and Travellers Beach Hotel. TripIndigo offers a superb guide on locations throughout East Africa.