Mwanza Airport Guide
Mwanza Airport, also known as by its IATA Code MWZ and ICAO Code HTMW, is a relatively large regional airport serving the Mwanza region of Northern Tanzania. It is currently undergoing expansive works.
Geographical Location – see map below
Mwanza Airport is located in Mwanza City the second largest city in the Republic of Tanzania. Mwanza City is in the north of the country and the airport is located right on the shores of Lake Victoria, some 10 kilometers northeast of the city. The lake is known as Nyanza in the local Sukuma dialect.
NEW SAFETY MEASURE DUE TO COVID-19
Please note that due to Covid-19,the Mwanza Airport have enacted several safety measure in order to protect both the staff and tourists coming in and out of the airport. These measures include:
- Ensuring every tourist arriving in the country is not infected with COVID-19; All travelers arriving will be subjected to an intensive screening and where necessary COVID-19 rapid testing.
- The airport staff will have to be tested for COVID-19 so that only those who are safe will provide services; In addition, all attendants will have to wear facemasks all the time; they will also have to wear gloves and will have to use sanitizers as directed by MoHCDEC. In addition, they must make sure that they observe the social distance of not less than one meter from one staff to another and from the guest
- All other members on the tourism activities value chain will be regularly monitored to ensure they are not infected with the Corona virus; These include ensuring gloves are always worn when loading and unloading passenger baggage, cargo and pouches and the taxi drivers at the airport are tested.Only staff that are not infected with Corona Virus will be allowed to cater to tourist. However, all staff will have to wear masks and make sure that they stay at least one meter apart between themselves and the tourist.
- All tourist transport facilities, tourist accommodation and all other facilities used by tourists must be cleaned and sanitized before and after service in an acceptable manner to ensure that they do not become infected with Corona Virus.
- Taxi – It will cost you Tzshs 20,000 (USD $ 9) to get from the city center to the airport.
- Preferred Mode – Use the taxis they are not only reliable but faster and offer more leg and luggage room.
- Shuttle Bus – The airport does not operate one.
- Alternatives – There are public passenger transport vehicles, known locally as daladala, which will cost you slightly under Tzshs 1000 (USD $ 0.4) to the airport. Not for the weak of heart and first timers.
- Car Parking & Fees – There is ample parking at Mwanza Airport but there is no POS automated parking system installed.
- Auxiliary Information
- Flight From Hub
There are at least 10 scheduled daily flights from DAR to Mwanza for a flight that takes 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Airlines Using As Hub
MWZ is the hub for Auric Air and the focus city for Precision Air.
The taxis and car hire vehicles will pick and drop you within the terminal; there are porters ready to help you with your luggage, for a small tip.
Hotels & Transit Accommodation
There are several budget and high end hotels in Mwanza City with the nearest and best 5 star hotels being; Malaika Beach Resort a mile from the airport, New Mwanza Hotel and Ryan’s Bay Hotel. TripIndigo offers a comprehensive guide on the best accommodations in Mwanza and other cities in East Africa.