Tanga Airport Guide
Tanga Airport, also known as by its IATA Code TGT and ICAO Code HTTG, is a regional airport located in the Tanga Region in the northeast part of Tanzania. Tanga is host to the most Northerly seaport in Tanzania with tourist attractions such as Amboni Caves, Galanos Hot Springs, Toten Island and Tongoni Ruins to name a few.
Geographical Location – see map below
Tanga Airport is located in the Tanga Region in the North Eastern part of Tanzania. It is located close to the border with Kenya, and as such played a pivotal role in WW1.
NEW SAFETY MEASURE DUE TO COVID-19
Please note that due to Covid-19,the Tanga Airport have enacted several safety measure in order to protect both the staff and tourists coming in and out of the airport. These measures include:
- Ensuring every tourist arriving in the country is not infected with COVID-19; All travelers arriving will be subjected to an intensive screening and where necessary COVID-19 rapid testing.
- The airport staff will have to be tested for COVID-19 so that only those who are safe will provide services; In addition, all attendants will have to wear facemasks all the time; they will also have to wear gloves and will have to use sanitizers as directed by MoHCDEC. In addition, they must make sure that they observe the social distance of not less than one meter from one staff to another and from the guest
- All other members on the tourism activities value chain will be regularly monitored to ensure they are not infected with the Corona virus; These include ensuring gloves are always worn when loading and unloading passenger baggage, cargo and pouches and the taxi drivers at the airport are tested.Only staff that are not infected with Corona Virus will be allowed to cater to tourist. However, all staff will have to wear masks and make sure that they stay at least one meter apart between themselves and the tourist.
- All tourist transport facilities, tourist accommodation and all other facilities used by tourists must be cleaned and sanitized before and after service in an acceptable manner to ensure that they do not become infected with Corona Virus.
- Taxi – There are several taxis which will get you from Tanga town to the airport 3 kilometers (10 minutes) away for Tzs 10000- Tzs 15000 (USD $5-7).
- Preferred Mode – Taxis are the preferred method especially if you have luggage with you.
- Shuttle Bus – The airport does not operate one.
- Alternatives – Local busses operate on the route from the city centre, however these can be busy and you may have to walk from the bus stop to the terminal building, so this would only be recommended if you are travelling light.
- Car Parking & Fees –There is no automated POS parking system at the airport and it is safe to assume that parking is free although there may be minimal charges from the local municipality.
- Auxiliary Information
- Flight from Hub
There are several flights a day from Julius Nyerere International airport in Dar es Salaam to Tanga (scheduled and unscheduled)and the flight duration is 1 hour and 40 minutes.
The taxis and car hire vehicles will pick and drop you within the terminal, right at the entrance to the lounge. Your driver will double up as your porter at the airport.
Kiosks – There will be a shop that sells local soft drinks and snacks
Hotels & Transit Accommodation
There are several hotels around Tanga town and some of the best include the Tanga Beach Resort, Nyumbani Tanga Hotel and New Kwetu Hotel which offer all the conveniences including WI-FI. TripIndigo offers comprehensive reviews on various locations throughout East Africa.